Vocation Story 1: Sr Marianne Lorriane Trouvé

Friday, June 09, 2006

My vocation story
By Sr Marianne Lorraine Trouvé, FSP
Open Wide the Doors to Christ
Daughters of St. Paul

How do you know what vocation God is calling you to? All of us have a vocation; the question is: which one? One way to know is by following the desires of your heart. That’s what St. Ignatius said, and what he taught his followers. He said they should listen in prayer to what God was telling them about their real desires. When he said to follow the desires of your heart, he didn’t mean the superficial ones, the ones that might attract us to glamour and glitz. He meant the ones that come from our deepest selves, where God speaks to our heart.

In my own case, I thought about religious life for a long time before actually “taking the plunge.” After high school I decided not to go to college immediately, but to work for a while in order to take some time to see what I really wanted to do with my life. During that time I had a deeper conversion to the faith. I had always been Catholic and my faith always meant a lot to me. But then I felt God speaking more deeply to my heart, inviting me to something more. It was like Jesus said to his first disciples, “Come and see!”

I had heard about the Daughters of St. Paul through their work evangelizing with the media. I knew about their books and had purchased some of them through the mail. Although I didn’t know it, my older brother Paul had written to the Daughters saying that he thought his sister had a religious vocation and they might want to contact me. They wasted no time and I got a letter inviting me to visit their headquarters in Boston. So I caught an Amtrak train from New York to Boston and went to visit.

I liked what I saw. One thing that attracted me was the strong Eucharistic devotion that their founder, Bl. James Alberione, had given them. A daily hour of adoration before the Blessed Sacrament, along with Mass, meditation, community and personal prayer was the center of each day. The sisters also had a very strong apostolic dedication which impressed me a lot. As they ran the machines that churned out thousands of books, they prayed for the people who would eventually read them. A strong community life was the other thing that attracted me.

Thirty years later, I'm still living happily in the same community. A lot of things have changed and I have too, but the main thing is still the same: Jesus Christ is the center of everything. Religious life is about the relationship we have with Christ. I may edit books, clean the floor, pay bills, take out the garbage or talk to someone about the faith. But whatever I do, it’s all about Jesus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP