Thoughts on cloistered vocations

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

They say you can never go home again. The other night, though, I dreamt that I did just that. It's always the same; in my dreams, I am finally able to explain what happened to turn a sad girl good. It still seems so incomprehensible. Even I can't quite explain how things came to be, or why. All I can say is this: one day, I woke up, and I was in love. Isn't that the way it always goes?

Sometimes, the world can understand the active Sisterhood... there is a certain mystery to running off to the missions, or devoting yourself to teaching. Such humanitarian practices still work in our pragmatic society... but how to explain a calling to the stillness of the cloister?

For the life of me, I can't see why it wouldn't make sense. Forget usefulness, for a moment. Forget cold, hard logic, and remember that our Lord is a consuming fire of love. Every encounter with Him is an encounter with Love itself; thus, every Christian walk is a romance.

In my own life, I have lived a grand adventure. I have looked death straight in the eye twice... and walked away. I have scaled cliffs, faced off angry snapping turtles and never been bored. I have succeeded where it matters, and failed only when it does not. Then, just when things were at their best... I fell into a grand romance with the King of Kings- who asks only that I walk away from it all for the love of Him.

Who could say no?

It seems to me that cloistered vocations help remind us that this is a great romance that we are living and, sometimes, it's not about what we can do for God... rather, it's about who we can be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP