Fear Not, I Am Your God

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Self-preservation is one of the strongest drivers for us as humans. This is not something new, for Job in 2:4 says, "All that a man has he will give for his life."

Thus, it only makes sense that one of the strongest human fears is the fear of death (among the many other human fears we have). The "devil in a prophet's suit" who came to Nehemiah in 6:10-14 tried to scare Nehemiah into disobeying God with this lie: "They are coming to kill you by night." But Nehemiah knew that the message was not from God because it was one of fear.

My fears seem to be similar to that of St. Maximilian Kolbe. St. Maximilian Kolbe's noble goal to serve God as a priest was attacked by fears of unworthiness. He felt urged to do more, to pray more. It seemed to him that everything he did was wrong, or not worthy of his vocation.

Many times, I am being tempted to run away and hide. To ignore or put away the flame that God has ignited in my heart: to leave everything behind like to first apostles to serve Him.

It is my prayer at the daily masses I attend that I receive the necessary graces I need to continue discerning my vocation. I have seen the wonders God has done for me by showing me so many people that have been not only helpful but also instrumental in my discernemnt.

When doubts come and make me question my vocation, I know that the messages of fear are not from God! His Word is always by my side, "Fear not." (Isaiah 41:10)

I know that I can stand strong and not give in to fear because I am not alone. God has promised never to leave each one of us. If we're going to run, we got to run to Him today. Confess our fears, and ask Him to replace it with the assurance of His presence and power.

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP