Introductions: Quantitative Metathesis

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Praised be Jesus Christ!

Hello, everyone! I've been hanging around this blog for a while, but haven't had the chance to introduce myself until now. I am so excited to be a part of the community of discerners here! It is so good to walk this path to the Beloved together, praying for each other and praising Him for His goodness. That's really the reason I wanted to be one of your number -- to support you in your vocations and find support for my own.

I am (like several of you, I think) a newer Roman Catholic, having been received into the Church on December 13, 2003. I was baptized Lutheran, raised non-practicing, and began going to the Lutheran church in town when I was in eighth grade. I've felt called to dedicate my life to God for many years, but didn't have any clear direction until I went to college, when I began to explore Catholicism. Nearly simultaneously with my discovery of Catholic theology, the Lord reminded me of a desire that had been stuffed in the back of my mind's closet as "Catholic, therefore impossible" -- to consecrate my life to Him as a nun. And so I found myself on a whirlwind search for monasteries at the same time that I was grappling with larger issues of faith, truth, and the nature of God.

Four years later, I suppose I am still grappling with those issues (who isn't?), and my discernment has taken a lot of twists and turns, but I find myself drawn more than ever into the heart of Jesus Christ. More than ever, I feel the desire burning in my own heart to give myself entirely to Him. My family, who is still Protestant as far as the eye can see, has struggled and suffered greatly in the past few years, but love has seen us through and (hopefully) will continue to do so. Partially at their recommendation and partially for my own sake, I decided to find and attend a graduate school after college instead of finding an order. God helped me out by [very emphatically] sending me to the University of St. Thomas, where I'm now in my first year of the MA program in Catholic Studies, and granting me the opportunity to live in the archdiocese's Women's Discernment Household during my first year. (I'm pretty sure the household is the reason He sent me here. ;) ) The four of us have our own Eucharistic chapel here, which is simply amazing, and we share common prayer and meals every day. Once a week, a priest comes to say Mass for us, and we also meet regularly for formation (both as a group and individually with our spiritual directors). We also help out the vocation office by running discernment groups for high school and college aged women.

I'm fairly certain I am called to the religious life, though in what way, I don't know. All I know is that I must love with my whole self, every moment of my life! I came to the Catholic Church for love of the Eucharist, and I hope to live that love for the rest of my days. Pray for me and for my sisters in the Household as we travel on this path -- and rest assured that you are in our prayers every day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP