Notes from Rome

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Hello, all! It has been quite a while since I have posted here, partially because I am trying to stay fully engaged in the "real world" and not caught up in cyberspace, and partially because I am studying in Roma now and simply don't have the time! You all have continued to be in my prayers, however; do keep me in yours.

At the end of May I finished my year of living in the Women's Discernment Household which the Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis organized. I cannot begin to name all of the blessings which this opportunity gave me; perhaps most prominent on the list is the experience of living in community with other young women who desired to give their all to the Divine Bridegroom. I am sorely missing our common prayer and fellowship now that I am on my own again. Even as I soak up the graces of the Eternal City, I find myself wishing for a religious family to call my own, to come home to every day, to set the rhythm of my life with prayer and discipline. I would actually rather be in the middle of nowhere than here in Rome, if it meant that I could live a common life with my sisters (whoever they are).

I have discerned the call to the religious life, thanks be to God, very strongly this year, and the Lord has taken every opportunity to prune me and form me in preparation for the life ahead. I haven't yet discerned where or to what order he is calling me, but I know that He will let me know when it is time. Now my task is to live as wholly His, even as I continue to walk as a lay single in this world. It is a huge challenge for me, and I have a hard time being faithful to living the consecrated life, so I would greatly appreciate your prayerful support.

I will be studying in Rome until February, with a bit of a break in August and September in order to go home to my family. It is so amazing to walk along these ancient, cobbled streets -- the saints are everywhere here, walking invisibly with us, befriending us, teaching us, and lovingly leading us closer to the Beloved. I cannot tell you how many times I have exchanged laughs with one of our heavenly brethren already! It is beautiful.

Blessings and peace to all of you! Oremus pro invicem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP