Support from others is essential when discerning a vocation

Monday, August 06, 2007

On my blog, MN Catholic, one of my first posts dealt with the essentially of support from others when discerning a vocation, and this is a theme I wish to share with you today.

In about a week or so, I will be moving from my summer dorm to my academic-year dorm here at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, and normally my family has helped me make the move. This year, however, do to a busier-than-usual schedule, I will most likely need to rely on the help of my friends here at UST to make the move. Now, I'm one of those people that loves to help others, but is reluctant to ask for help himself when he needs it, and it's something I've struggled with my whole life. I was reluctant to ask my friends for help moving, but I forced myself to, otherwise the move could take at least two hours on my own,instead of forty-five minutes with the help of friends.

It's the same with discerning a vocation: You need the help of a spiritual director and a group of solidly Catholic friends you can trust, otherwise discernment is impossible. No one should go-it-alone with discerning a vocation, it's tough. Believe me, I've been there before, and it's not pleasant. Even the apostles and saints all had help in their spiritual journey, so there's not practical reason for going-it-alone in discernment.

Now, sometimes finding the right group of friends, or the right spiritual director is tough. It may take awhile before you find them, but you will, eventually. Clubs and organizations are a good place to meet friends, such as the Knights of Columbus, Catholic Witness, Campus Crusade for Christ, masses on or off campus, a rosary group, the Catholic Studies, Philosophy, or Theology Departments at your college, a Catholic college seminary, or even Campus Ministry, if it's a Catholic college, are good places to meet people who you can trust.

Or, if you're really struggling with discernment, and there seems like there's no one there who can help you, you can trust the contributing writers of this blog. Believe me, we know exactly what you're going through, and can offer advice, spiritual reading suggestions, prayer suggestions, and do whatever we can to help.

On my profile I have included my e-mail address if you need to get a hold of me, and I'm sure that's true of the other writers on this blog as well.

Always remember, you're never alone. There are people you can trust that can help you with your discernment, and you can trust us. We've been there, and we can help you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP