Roman greetings!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Our semester here at the Angelicum in Roma has just begun today, and it's fantastic to see so many hundreds of clerics and religious strolling about the courtyard gardens! I still can't believe how blessed I am to study here this year, amongst some of the Church's brightest consecrated people. My three classes include one on the earliest centuries of the Roman Church, studying the conversion of the city from paganism to Christianity, one which gives a general study of spiritual theology, and one on St. John of the Cross. I am also taking an Italian language course and an upper level Latin "experience" with the legendary Fr. Reggie Foster. Both my professors and peers are inspirational and a joy to work with.

This is definitely going to be a challenging semester, spiritually. I am still struggling to process and understand the events of my summer stay at home, and every day in Roma brings fresh food for contemplation. I am convicted of my weakness and littleness in this great city of saints and churches, where every cobblestone is imbued with centuries of history. I find myself confronted with so many spiritual greats and so many beautiful seminarians and young religious that I find myself doubting that I could ever be counted among their number. They all seem so sure, so content, so joyful in following their Beloved...and I easily forget that it is not at all an easy road for any of them. True spiritual darkness is rarely apparent to onlookers. I can no more see their struggles than they can see that my steps are currently shrouded in darkness. The Lord is challenging me to hope, to trust, to love always, no matter what happens.

They say faithfulness is the mark of a bride. "For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health...." Do we have this faith in Him? Are we prepared to live it for Him?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP