My Advent/Christmas Experiences

Thursday, January 03, 2008


Salvete!


Wow...Christmas and Advent were very interesting for me this year. So many things happened, so many things learned. Of course, these learning experiences are always accompanied by those growing pains which are never fun, but entirely necessary. I have found that the Rosary is a source of constant consolation, though it is not always easy to fight the distractions which accompany the recitation of this wonderful prayer. I read all of The Secret of the Rosary over my Christmas vacation. I have never read a more helpful book. For those of you who are discerning, it is vitally important that you nurture a devotion to the Rosary. The Blessed Mother described it as "the cornerstone of the New Testament." Although I was devoted to the Rosary before reading the book and I often promoted it among my peers, I had such an imperfect knowledge of its true nature and power. It was as if I was looking at a painting merely because I had been told that it was a great work of art, though I had no understanding as to what the artist was trying to convey. It was only after really thinking about it and examining it for myself that I saw more clearly what it truly meant, though the knowledge is still very imperfect since its Author is divine. Excluding the Sacrifice of the Mass, there is nothing more powerful than the Rosary. So I encourage each and every one of you to spend some time contemplating the importance of this prayer, and I especially recommend that you read The Secret of the Rosary.

During Christmas vacation, I also spent a great deal of time working on my apologetics skills. I am reading The Church and the Bible (Fr. Stravinskas), the Summa Theologiae (St. Thomas Aquinas), and The Pocket Handbook of Christian Apologetics (Peter Kreeft and Fr. Tacelli). And, as my apologetics teacher pointed out, the most important thing an apologist must do is to strive to lead a holy life. So, I am preparing to read The Confessions (St. Augustine) and The True Devotion to Mary, by St. Louis De Montfort (I have only read abridged versions of this book). I have so much reading to do, so I am not really looking forward to go back to school next week. However, I must return to my normal schedule. I will also meet the rector of Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary, Fr. Josef Bisig, this weekend. Hopefully the meeting will go well. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. God bless!

In Jesu, Per Mariam

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP