An Update

Thursday, April 03, 2008

I suppose that I do not really have much to update upon regarding my discernment. For the past six or seven months, I have been meeting with a spiritual director here on campus. It had been at the urging of a few friends that I went to speak with this priest initially, about a possible vocation to the religious life, and from there he thought it would be good idea that I meet with him for spiritual direction.

At any rate, one of the first things that we really spoke about was regarding my discernment. He gave me the same advice that he received when he first began discerning: wait at least three years before actually entering or making plans to enter a community. The reasoning behind this being that I am a new convert (as was he when he first began discerning the priesthood), so discernment must be approached in a slightly different manner than it would be for others. We also discussed possible orders and he mentioned Dominicans, particularly the two communities in Nashville and Michigan.

Besides our initial conversation about my discernment, we haven't really spoken about it. The plan, I suppose, is to slowly begin thinking and increasing the level of my discernment over time. For the moment, we focus on growing closer to the Lord and working on my prayer-life.

So, I'm still in nowhere land in my discernment, I guess. The idea of religious life is to me both appealing and scary. I want to do whatever it is that God asks of me. Right now it seems that He is revealing only one step at a time for me. Which is probably a good thing.

Summary: I still feel that I may be called to the religious life, but I know nothing more than that.

I've been keeping you all in my prayers! May God bless all of you!

In Christ,
Kayla

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP