First formal session

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Last Sunday I went to Fatima to meet my vocational director in person. We talked for about two hours - or should I say he talked. I just answered a few questions, and spoke very little as I was trying to absorb all that he said and all that was going on. To make a long story short, he suggested I start writing down significant things that come to me during my prayers, to write down what my ideal day as a religious would be like, and to also to come to Fatima every once in a while for a day or two for mini-retreats.

What struck me most though was a piece of advice that he gave me: "don't try to chose the community/order. If you're making a list of communities that you want to visit so you can decide in the end which one you'll chose, then you're going at it the wrong way. You're not the one choosing here - it's God." So for the meantime I'm going to ignore the list of congregation/communities I'm interested in. As I had mentioned that I felt a certain inclination towards Ignatian spirituality and the Jesuit's 4th vow but couldn't identify with the Company as it currently is, he suggested an alternative: the Disciples of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary (http://www.dcjm.org/). He knows them very well (even though he is diocesan priest) and is going to arrange for me to visit one of their houses in Spain. God willing, next month I'll be on my way to Madrid to spend a week with the commuity there. I'll let you know how that went.

Pax Christi,
Mark of the Vineyard

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP