Introduction: Br. Felix

Saturday, June 21, 2008



All the best in the Lord to one and all from New Jersey, and thanks for the cordial welcome to this blog! Has anyone ever heard of us? There are monks here!

I'm a simply-professed member of the Cistercian community here in Mt. Laurel. I came to the monastery a bit over three years ago at the age of
25. In addition to the rhythm of our community life, studying theology in preparation for ordination and priestly ministry dovetails beautifully with this lifelong process of letting God take me from punk to monk. A monk is simply a disciple, in a particular mode of discipleship! We haven't reinvented the wheel here!

I'm house barber, oil-changer, and "assistant branch manager" when we pick up branches outside. I run, enjoy monastic history, change oil, catechize elementary school students, and am putting my hand to making some new vestments. I'm fond of Aelred of Rievaulx and Baldwin of Canterbury, two medieval
Cistercians. I have a sense of humor, being the one to write cheeky hymns or affably offensive responsories for confreres' birthdays and namedays. I also enjoy the ample opportunities for solitude that are available in this wonderful form of "mixed" religious life. In my eyes, joyless clergy, seminarians and religious are one of the world's saddest sights; I had been one myself for a time. (It's one thing to be a quiet or formal or grumpy type... but quite another to be utterly joyless)!
I was born in Abington, PA, an only child. We moved up to Quakertown, PA when I was 7. After a variety of experiences, during and after college, a certainty ripened in my heart: I began to see religious life as the place for me to seek to make my response to the gift of my life, to my particular experience of the beautiful claim that God makes on every person. Write to me if you'd like to hear something more of my "vocation story". Maybe monasticism is the "sheet of paper" on which you can best write your life's letter of response to God!

I've certainly "been around the block" in that part of the discernment process that comes before you enter the monastery. I began as a diocesan seminarian at 20. After looking far and wide, I entered what I saw as the ideal monastery at 23: an army of seminarians, solid observance, rich liturgical life. Everything I thought indispensable. It was a wonderful place; I was there for about 16 months as a novice, but my he
art would not settle and take root. The draw back to the more pioneering life of this smaller monastery in NJ that I had shelved out of fear was the pea under my mattress. I'm happy to be here!

Our community here was founded in 1961 from the Abbey of Casamari in Italy, and serves a big parish adjacent (but not too close) to the monastery. I'm in the first generation of local vocations. It was quite an experience to visit Italy last summer during my novitiate (paradoxical, huh- join a monastery, see the world!)

I'd be delighted to share what I have to offer of my experience of religious life and the formation/discernment process. The more specific the questions, the better.

In the words of my onomastic patron, Ven. Felix Ghebramlak, "Courage, God is with you!"

The last lines of Psalm 139 were a favorite for me while I was "looking":
Search me, O God, and know my heart,
see that I follow not the wrong path,
but lead me in the way of life eternal.

Foibles, temptations and all, I can look anyone in the eye and say that at the end of the day, when I put my head on the pillow, there's really nothing else that I'd rather be doing, nowhere else that I'd rather be. That's a wonderful blessing, the consolation of the vows!

As Pope Benedict remarked in his recent pastoral visit to northern Italy, it is really up to us to be open to the future. I breathe those words of Ps 139 for all of you reading this. Be in touch!

Br. Felix M. Pierson, O.Cist.
brotherfelix@comcast.net


10 comments:

Nun2Be Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 3:55:00 PM PDT  

Welcome Br. Felix! It is a wonderful gift from God to have you be apart of this blog! I look forward to seeing some of your posts in the future! May God bless you and be with you!

~Kate

Vidimusdominum Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 8:58:00 PM PDT  

Welcome once again to Holy Vocations!

Just when people are begaining to think that the monastic life is either (i) dead or (ii) waiting to die out with the last batch of old monks, your written testimony and youthful photos are renewed hope that this God-inspired, disciplined way of life lives on through the guidence of the Holy Ghost.

Thank you for the motivating introductory post. Looking forward to your future posts. Till then,

May our Lord and Lady bless you and your confrers abundantly.

P.s. Would you happen to be in any of the photos?


United-in-prayer,
Paul

Jim Lopez Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 9:33:00 PM PDT  

God bless you Br. Felix! I have read somewhere that the Cistercians maintain a way of life that should be emulated by all who seek to follow Christ. It is a privilege to be able to read about you and your holy way of life with the Cistercians.

Br. Felix Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 4:39:00 AM PDT  

Yes, I'm in all of the photos that I posted, Caucasian guy with dark brown hair wearing the Cistercian habit. The young men in ordinary clothes are our postulants & aspirants; the other fellow wearing the habit is Fr. Teclezghi, who's immediately in charge of formation in our house.

God bless us all!

Quantitative Metathesis Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 1:03:00 PM PDT  

Welcome, Brother, to our merry band! Huzzah for monastic vocations!

LandOLakesJesuit Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 4:44:00 PM PDT  

Welcome aboard, Brother Felix, it's great to have you. I've been thinking about the religious life a bit myself, and I'll certainly e-mail you if I have any questions about it.

Charity Therese Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 9:59:00 PM PDT  

Welcome! I look forward to your posts as well! :-D

Seminarian Matthew Monday, June 23, 2008 at 8:56:00 AM PDT  

Wonderful introduction. Welcome!

Do you have photos of your liturgy? Do you use a unique rite of Mass like the Carthusians? Do you attend the Tridentine Latin Mass?

Thanks!

Anonymous,  Monday, June 23, 2008 at 1:31:00 PM PDT  

Oh! Morpheus (of The Matrix) has become a Cistercian! ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

Anonymous,  Monday, July 14, 2008 at 10:02:00 PM PDT  

Dear brother Fekix :

Please pray for me as spiritually I am not well (HE WHOM YOU SPEAK TO EVERYDAY KNOWS WHY)ask him to help me. Also discerning and have joined a community of lay persons dedicated to the sacred heart and shall (should HE wishes) take vows in a year. As a Consecrated soul.

I would like you to "adopt me" as your brother and pray for me.

I believe that all of us should from "the fruits of our contemplation" in our work, ministries ect.

I am an English teacher here in Peru. Yes way far huh ! I lived in the US for many many years.

I hope to hear from you. I will email this as well to you

profesorluigi@gmail.com

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP