Daughters of St. Paul

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Well, I’m back from the Daughters of St. Paul Summer Retreat! I’m so excited! Every time, I go to the Pauline Motherhouse in Boston, I come back filled with a renewed love for this community and their charism.
One of the reasons I’m so excited is because I was asked if I would consider entering in the next couple of years…maybe even as soon as next summer!!! My stomach feels as if it’s full of butterflies and my heart skips a beat every time I think about it! Please pray for me. I’m trying to figure out what God wants of me. My mom is freaking out a little bit. Because I’m the oldest, it’s going to be difficult for her to let me go. She tells me it’s ok, which is a relief on my part, but I still catch her looking at me sometimes and when I ask her what’s wrong she says “I can’t believe you’re going to leave….but what ever God wants and whatever makes you happy is ok with me.” I guess she’s still getting used to the idea….I hope… :-) My dad hasn’t said much to me, but I heard from my mom that he’s all right with my entering. He said to my mom that as long as I’m happy and it’s what God wants, he’d be satisfied with whatever I choose to do.
I’m not sure whether I should finish two years of college and enter in the summer of 2010 or since I don’t have a declared major if I should just enter next summer (2009). (Please pray for me!!!)

Some people have asked me what the ordinary day of a Daughter of St. Paul looks like.
Here is a typical day of a Pauline Sister:
5:40 am -rising
6:10 am -Morning Meditation
6:40 am -Morning Prayer
7:00 am -Mass
7:30 am -Breakfast
8:30 am -Work in the apostolate
During the program the retreatants had classes and/or outings at this time.
12:30pm- Lunch
1:30 pm- Work in the apostolate
Same as in the morning, retreatants had classes and/or outings at this time.
6:10 pm- Evening prayer
6:30 pm- Supper
7:30 pm- Recreation
9:00 pm- Lectio Divina- silence
10:00pm or 10:30pm- Lights out- profound silence

*Paulines are to make an hour of Adoration at any point during the day.
Weekends are a little different…


The participants of the retreat had classes during the day. Our classes were given by various Sisters in the community. Several of these classes had corresponding outings. Some of the topics were:
-Discernment
-Mother Thecla Merlo (The co-foundress)
-The Eucharist
-The Pauline Vocation
-St. Paul
-Question and Answer on Vocations
-Photography
-Art and Architecture

Along with classes we were able to have apostolic experience. This is where each of us were assigned to assist a sister with her job. It was really neat to see what all of the sisters do. I was supposed to help Sr. Bridget in the sound studio, but unfortunately she had a spur burst in her knee while we were there so she was in a lot of pain the day I was supposed to have apostolic experience (Please keep Sr. Bridget in your prayers!). Anyway, I ended up going to editorials with two other retreatants instead. We set up a data base of authors for the editorials staff. We also reviewed stories for a classroom story collection. It was interesting. Sr. Bridget and I were both disappointed that I couldn’t help in the Studio, but she promised that next time I came, I would get to help her! (Yay!)

One of the days we were able to go to their retreat house, St. Thecla‘s. There we made a full day silent retreat. It was so beautiful and peaceful. For 30 minutes during the silent retreat we met with either Sr. Margaret Michael (The vocation directress) or Sr. Christine. At the end of the day, we had a group conference. I could really tell that the Holy Spirit was at work in every one of us!

Because June 29 was the opening of the Year of St. Paul, our two weeks were centered on St. Paul’s letters. Each of the participants were assigned a letter to read and reflect on. In view of St. Paul’s feast day , on June 30 all of us on the retreat, threw a “St. Paul Party” for all of the sisters. It was so much fun! We created a skit, played some games, and even had a sing-along! (Not forgetting to mention that Sr. Alice helped us to bake some delicious goodies for the refreshment table!)

So much more happened during those two weeks….but my post is already long enough!!!! Thank you for your prayers while I was in Boston, please know that I prayed for you everyday!
I’ll keep you updated, and in the meantime, let us continue to pray for one another!
Thank You and God Bless!

St. Paul the Apostle, Pray for us.
Mary, Queen of the Apostles, Pray for us.
Jesus Master, Way, Truth, and Life, Have mercy on us.

8 comments:

Charity Therese Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 8:38:00 PM PDT  

That's so wonderful Faustina! You're are still in my prayers!!
:-D

Brian A. Batty Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 7:49:00 AM PDT  

That's absolutely wonderful, Faustina!
I understand how difficult it is to be young and have family that may not fully understand the pull of a vocation.
I'll remember you in my prayers. I wish you the best.

Brian Batty

Totus Tuus Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 10:00:00 AM PDT  

Praised be Jesus Christ!
I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I'm slightly older than you are (I'll be 22 in November, and will graduate this spring) We may be going through something similar, although it sounds like your folks are more supportive than mine are (they seem adamantly opposed right now to me pursuing a religious vocation, and they think it might be a phase I'm going through. It's a long story).
However, you just have to trust where God's leading you in life. Pray about it, consult with those you trust, but trust where your heart is leading you, and don't let anyone stop you from following where God is leading you in life. It's tough, but He will always be there with You. In my experience, as much as I love my family, and don't want to hurt them, at the end of the day, I have to trust that this call God has placed in my heart is real, and take the leap of faith. It's hard, and it hurts me, but I know I'll never be fully who I was created to be if I don't take that leap of faith.
Kudos to you for listening and following where Our Lord is leading you, not many people stop to even consider where God may be leading them.
As for college, it depends on the order you feel called to and what God is asking you to do. Some orders ask you to complete your bachelor's degree first, but for some you don't have to. If the order you feel called to is one that doesn't require you to finish your degree first, then I would just pray about it, talk about it with your spiritual director, and do what God seems to be asking you to do. That's not much to go off of, but that's all I can offer. In my case, God seems to be asking me to complete at least my bachelor's degree right now, but as for the future, we'll just have to wait and see.
In Christ,
Mike

St. Faustina Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 10:31:00 AM PDT  

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support!

Totus Tuus,
Thanks so much for your words of advice and encouragement, and you will most certainly be in my prayers!
The Daughters of St. Paul, as far as I know, do not require any college education. They usually ask for at least a year of College, but it is not required for entrance. The vocation directress mentioned that I might want to finish at least one year of college (Which I will be doing) Now whether I just graduate with an Associates degree(2yrs.) or just enter with one year of college under my belt, I don't know! It's all so confusing and it's really happening, which is scary. I have to remind myself that this is real. Sometimes it feels so overwhelming, and yet I'm totally and exeedingly happy.
Thank you so much again!
In His Joy and Peace,
Faustina

Jim Lopez Sunday, July 13, 2008 at 9:00:00 AM PDT  

Hi! I can actually relate to your struggle with your parents. I am not from a well-to-do family, and the prospect of having their eldest son enter religious life somehow makes me feel that it pains my father.

Let's pray for each other! And, the Holy Spirit made a good choice for you, the FSP has such a lovable charism!

Seminarian Matthew Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 8:32:00 AM PDT  

What does their chapel look like? From what I have heard from others, they are not as traditional as other habited orders. Do the Daughters of St. Paul have the Tridentine Mass or observe some of the ancient traditions like praying Matins during the night hours?

St. Elizabeth Ann Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 3:16:00 PM PDT  

that's so wonderful!
praying for you as always!!

Anonymous,  Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 9:36:00 PM PDT  

I love the Paulines! Just one question: do you know why their superior general does not wear a veil? Every other sister of theirs I've ever seen does. Not questioning their orthodoxy; just genuinely curious. Thanks.

(here's a link)

http://stlouisreview.com/article.php?id=15493

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP