advice to young men

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I am taking a back seat from blogging; indeed, my own blog is reaching the end of its road. I thought I should like to leave specific advice to young men who are discerning a call to the Priesthood.

I'm singularly unqualified to give real advice, but I thought I'd share the thoughts I have, based on my own experience. This is loosely based on part of the endmatter in the Daily Missal put out by Opus Dei.

  • Try to establish a pattern to your day; get up at a fixed time, as early as possible. There's no need to lie in bed, except if you're ill or overworked (i.e. tired).
  • Offer your day to God through the intercession of our Lady; at the end of the day, make a short examination of conscience before going to bed.
  • Attend Mass daily, receiving holy Communion, as often as possible. This is the best sacrifice we can offer up to God. Prepare yourself for the Mass by spending some time in prayer.
  • Find a Spiritual Director. Ask him to guide you; open your heart to him. Do everything he says in strict obedience.
  • Don't rush; share you concerns with your S.D., and then wait! The right time will come.
  • Live life fully! Work hard, pray hard, play hard. Equally don't burn yourself out, or neglect your obligations (to family, to friends, to the stranger).
  • Spend some time in mental prayer before the Blessed Sacrament (15 minutes, if posssible). Go to Eucharistic Adoration when you can (in Edinburgh, you can do this weekly!).
  • Pray the Liturgy of the Hours if you can; if you can't at least pray regularly through the day.
  • Guard your purity, jealously. Repudiate behaviours or situations that threaten chastity. Don't think you can't love, though; you must love people, completely.
  • Say the Memorare to the Blessed Virgin Mary each night without fail. She will bring you closer to her Son.
  • Never miss Mass on a Sunday. Stick up to your friends and peers if they encourage you otherwise; they will respect you for it, eventually.
  • Go to Confession; at least once a month is good, but every two weeks is better.
  • Go on a retreat yearly to a good, solid, conservative Abbey.
  • Try to live as you would like to die. We shall all die as we have lived.
Well, I hope that's all been useful. It's what I try. Make your mums and dads, your families, and everyone proud. "Live upright, that God may love thee."

(Lastly, it's selfish, but I ask you to please pray for me. I will apply this coming Spring to a good, traditional Seminary in Europe. I would dearly love to be accepted, even though that will cause separation from friends, loved ones, country, etc. Pray that I may discern God's calling.)

7 comments:

Anonymous,  Friday, October 17, 2008 at 3:55:00 PM PDT  

Hi! My name is Jude and I am discerning my call to religious life! I really like your blog and i am praying for you.

www.teencatholic.blogspot.com

Totus Tuus Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 12:22:00 PM PDT  

+JMJ+
You are in my prayers, brother.
In Christ,
Michael

+AMDG+

Seminarian Matthew Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 9:48:00 PM PDT  

Excellent advice, Mark. Thank you again for posting it on Holy Vocations.

Wojciech Monday, October 27, 2008 at 2:13:00 PM PDT  

Thank you for your advises.
I'll pray for you and for your vocation.
God bless you!

Marie Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 1:05:00 AM PDT  

This is some excellent advice you have here! Bravo.

Aji Friday, February 20, 2009 at 5:59:00 PM PST  

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alanna

http://www.craigslisthelper.info

Matthew Friday, February 20, 2009 at 7:49:00 PM PST  

Aji: Thank you for the positive comments

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP