Small Update

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

+JMJ+

I have recently been reading "Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II" by George Weigel. Reading about JPII makes me open my eyes on every page I see in the book! I used to consider myself very "traditional" and I didn't really do much to actually find out what the Second Vatican Council was all about. Now after research and other things I am simply "Catholic". But that is entirely besides the point.

While reading about JPII, I started thinking alot about my vocation. Now I am leaning more towards the diocesesan priesthood. This allows me to interact with people more, to be with the laity who need priests. The only thing hindering me is the administrative role that has become a common thing for diocesesan priests. I want to go out for the people not the bills and projects of the parish. But all this is another way of God telling me that I need to think. My mind is idle too often and he is just trying to get to think more, but I leave it all up to him. I continue to ask your prayers for me and all those in the discernment process.

Pax Christi!
Jude Graham

+AMDG+

5 comments:

Mark Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 10:24:00 AM PST  

Jude:

I know what you mean about Admin, and I am equally wary of it. However, I also see the sloppy way things can be done, by laity and Priests alike, in Parishes, and I would think a Priest who is a competent administrator is a great asset to the Church.

There's no harm in being traditional... but I agree that labels are not always helpful. What I mean is: many would call me traditional, but I don't actually like the label; rather, I would say that the Church should expose her sacred traditions to the faithful... but I don't like it as a label, when it's used as a symbol of elitism, etc. (But the same can be said of liberalism)

God bless you,
Mark

Teen Catholic Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 1:06:00 PM PST  

I like to embrace it as JPII. I fully accept and appriciate the Vatican II and I think it is wonderful, but I do not like the way it was recieved in the United States. Poland is a "tradditional place that loves the VII. But some people don't understand.

Barman Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 10:36:00 PM PST  

Nice post! I like the post i.e. you thoughts and writing style. Keep up the good work.

Totus Tuus Friday, February 6, 2009 at 2:21:00 PM PST  

Jude, I completely accept and embrace Vatican II as well. I just think that a lot of people with an agenda to push took advantage of an opportune moment to seek to implement things in the "Spirit of Vatican II" that were contrary to the teachings of the Church.
I am sympathetic to traditionalists, and really like the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, but the Novus Ordo has its own beauty as well, especially when the Holy Father celebrates it in Latin at St. Peter's Basilica.

I'll be posting soon on my time in the Eternal City, and how the graces from that time have helped my understanding of the priesthood, especially the diocesan priesthood, and the Church in general. It's nice to step outside of our thoroughly Protestant culture in the United States and see the Church for who she is. I encourage you to read my post once I finish it, I think it'll be helpful for you. I wish someone had done that for me when I was your age.

TJB,  Friday, February 13, 2009 at 9:04:00 PM PST  

Discerning a vocation is about thinking less, and praying and listening more.

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Posting Insulting, Derogatory, or Attacks against me or another commentor
2. Posting heretical or blasphemous comments
3. Posting obscene comments
4. Advertising or Self-Promotion (email such comments to me directly)
5. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
6. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate
7. Posting a non-English Language comment. Use of Latin within is fine, but a message entirely in another language is not acceptable.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

Final decision rests with the author of this blog concerning the deletion of a comment.

Back to TOP